The $300m Christophe de Margerie carried a cargo of LNG from Norway to South Korea in 19 days, about 30% quicker than the conventional southern route through the Suez Canal. On its maiden voyage, the tanker used its integral icebreaker to cross ice fields 1.2m thick, passing along the northern sea section of the route in the Russian Arctic in a record six 1/2 days.
This course meets the STCW mandatory minimum requirements for training and qualification of masters and officers on board ships operating in polar waters. The course meets the requirements of Basic Training in Polar Water , STCW table AV/ 4-1.
Candidates who have completed this course “are deemed to have fulfilled the STCW requirements and can work on vessels certified in accordance with the Polar Code”. The Coast Guard has issued CG-MMC Policy Letter 02-18 “Guidelines for Qualifications of Personnel for Issuing STCW Endorsements for Basic and Advanced Polar Code Operations,” (83 FR 121, June 22, 2018).
- Safe operation of vessels operating in Polar Waters
- Ice characteristics and areas with different
- types of ice
- Vessel performance in ice and low air temperature
- Ability to operate and maneuver a vessel in ice
- Compliance with legislative requirements
- Crew preparation, working conditions and safety
- Compliance with Pollution prevention requirements
The Benefits of Learn America’s Blended/Online Industry Recognized Credentials:
Flexible course enrollment
Interactive online program proctored by industry experts
Affordable and convenient with volume license discounts for corporate customers
USCG approved certificate of completion issued upon successful program completion