Cargoes carried on tanker ships are flammable in nature as most release some types of gases which form a combustible mixture composed of hydrocarbons. A flammble mixture contains 1-10% hydrocarbon gas and the rest is air. “The cargoes we carry is often flammable, highly toxic, and corrosive – in short, it can be very dangerous to human health,” said a ship Captain.
This course prepares trainees for candidates as the Person-In-Charge of Tanker and / or Barge Operations, including loading and discharging procedures, tank preparation, pollution prevention and hazard control. This course also satisfies the Tankerman Assistant requirements for those that do not have the required Loads and Discharges.
Any candidate who successfully completes the Tank Ship Dangerous Liquids course will satisfy: the training requirements of 46 CFR 13.201(c)(4) for an endorsement as Tankerman-PIC DL and 13.301(c)(4) for an endorsement as Tankerman-PIC (Barge) DL; the requirements of 46 CFR 13.603(a)(2), 46 CFR 13.603(b)(2), 46 CFR 13.603(c)(2) and STCW Code Table A-V/1-1-2 for an STCW endorsement for Advanced Oil Tanker Cargo Operations; and the requirements of 46 CFR 13.605(a)(2), 46 CFR 13.605(b)(2), 46 CFR 13.605(c)(2) and STCW Code Table A-V/1-1-3.
1. Physical and chemical properties of oil and chemical cargoes
2. Tank and Cargo-handling systems
3. Tanker safety culture and safety-management system
4. Gas-detection systems, instruments and equipment
5. Cargo operation plans, procedures and sequences
6. Cargo measurements and calculations
7. Stability and stress with loading and discharging of cargo
8. Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS),
9. Hazards and controls
10. Oil/chemical tanker emergency actions and procedures
11. Safe working practices, risk assessment and personal safety
12. Vessel response plans and supervision of personnel with cargo responsibilities
13. MARPOL and relevant IMO instruments, guidelines and port regulations
The Benefits of Learn America’s Blended/Online Industry Recognized Credentials:
Flexible course enrollment
Interactive online program proctored by industry experts
Affordable and convenient with volume license discounts for corporate customers
USCG approved certificate of completion issued upon successful program completion